Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: File type filtering (Was: Firewall Solution - 50 Users on SDSL Connection)

From: ark () eltex net
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:33:27 +0400

We (Advascan.com) run a filter that checks actual content and mime type match.

Hell, what a weird stuff do software developers put in mime headers!
Even hardcoded typos
(some software keeps sending content type x-mxexcel (sic!) and almost no
one cares that vendor-specific content should go as vnd*).

We don't give up this type of content filtering, though, because it
seems to be highly effective when catching unknown worms and troyans.

The proper way is to "fix" mime headers to make them matching the content
and apply filtering policy then.