Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recommendation needed for a firewall appliance

From: Julian Gomez <kluivert () tm net my>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:35:38 +0800

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:37:27PM -0500, Mark Tinberg spoke thusly:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Christopher L. Everett wrote:

I believe Windows comes with an IPSec stack, although I don't know if its
functional (it wasn't on W2K last I looked, and clients ended up buying
SafeNet SoftPK) Linux has FreeSWAN (and USAGI) ahd I believe OSX ships
with KAME from *BSD.

The default IPsec stack with W2K does work. One caveat which their website
documentation does not make particularly clear is that it *expects* static
IPs. Don't expect to be able to use it on your laptop from home, dialed up
to an ISP without changing the attributes in MMC accordingly. Won't work.

The SafeNet client was rather buggy in regards to x509 certs, but I think
that has been fixed for a while now.

(snip rest)