Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Private IP going outside of the firewall

From: "Maria Wing" <mariawing () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:55:38 +0000

I have this problem:
We have this internal IP address (192.168.1.5) that somebody is using and I just need to know who/what machine.....It is suppose to be inside the company, my network configuration is really basic:
line -> router/gateway -> firewall (NAT) -> switch/hub
we use 192.168.1.x with 255.255.255.0
If I disconnect the firewall from the router/gateway I lost contact with the 192.168.1.5 (it is not answering the pings)
When I use traceRoute, shows me:
from my machine (private IP) goes to -> router (public ip) -> ISP wan IP address (Public IP) -> 192.168.1.5 (Private IP)

Why the answer is coming from outside?...
We use static IP. We use NAT on the firewall. Also we use VPN and if I ping a computer using VPN I see something like this:
my machine -> the vpn machine
Thanks for any help