Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX 500 as ROUTER ONLY

From: Daniel Linder <dan_linder () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:35:37 -0800 (PST)

Michael Leland wrote:
I have a PIX 500 that I want to use to connect two public IP
networks.
I don't need to provide much security support, simply use it as a
simple
router between subnets.  Any ideas???

Depending on your needs, you could setup the PIX to route traffic with
a "permit ip any any" for the ACL on "inbound" stuff (i.e. outside to
inside traffic), and then a "nat 0" for the traffic going from the
inside back out.

As another poster mentioned though, the PIX is really not meant to do
this so features that a real router might have (RIP, OSPF, etc) will
not be available or limited if they exist.

Is this a case of needing to use existing equipment, or is the firewall
feature going to be used shortly just not in the near future?

You might want to look at the real long-term use of the device.  If it
is going to be doing more routing and very little firewalling (nothing
a standard router ACL couldn't handle), then you might want to look at
a low end router.  If it will be doing firewall primarialy but just
protecting live IP addresses behind it, then the firewall is your best
bet.

Dan