Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN and new ISP

From: Richard Snow <rsnow () mountauburn org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:02:42 -0500

Hi all,

I was able to get the trouble escalated to second tier
support at my ISP, and we watched the tunnel flup for a bit.

Traceroutes show very different paths in each direction, odd
but not too unusual. That lead the engineer to check open tickets
for the peering arrangement with Comcast. Evidently
there is already an order in to upgrade the peering arrangement.
Dropped packets = dropped tunnel

One thing I learned from this is that if the tunnel is established
but subsequently drops -- then that means the basic VPN configuration
is likely to be OK -- and it means there is no filtering in place.
Access Lists are not 'intermittent'.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Rich