Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nokia 5300 or Cisco Firewall Services Module

From: hermit921 <hermit921 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:34:13 -0800

We looked at something almost identical a year ago and determined that the firewall rules interface was quite difficult and prone to user error (who wants to duplicate every rule on every interface?), and the lack of logging made it unnacceptable. They did offer syslog.....

Yesterday a Cisco engineer gave us a new presentation, and they claim to have solved all that. They now can create firewall rules per object instead of per interface. We would still have to buy a separate system for logging, and install a database such as DB2 or Oracle or Sybase. Their management software is of course an extra cost and runs on Windows or Solaris.

One of the things Checkpoint offers that Cisco didn't mention was logging what rule changes were made when and by whom. I am looking forward to actually getting hands-on experience later this month. I would love to hear about anyone's impressions who has used both systems.

hermit921