Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Win 2003 and PiX

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:44:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Luca Berra wrote:

seems that pix does not grok EDNS and i do not think you can remove
this.

Brian Ford's posted that 6.3 allows removal...

RANT1:  when will firerewall vendors stop hardcoding arbitrary
constraint in their products?

Counter-rant:

Enforcing limits in application layers is a *good* thing from a security perspective. The failure here *isn't* the limitation, it's getting the fix in by the time the protocol or implementation changes are widely deployed.

Limts are a *good* way to stop buffer overflows, and in this case, I think Cisco was doing the right thing originally. They dropped the ball on keeping up to date. It doesn't hurt them business-wise that folks would need to keep the software up to date either, so I'm puzzled that they didn't have a fix ready to roll. I'm all for "On by default" too, though I think "No off button originally" is kind of short-sighted.

Heck, the reason HTTP is such a PITA to deal with is that it's a limitless protocol.

Paul