Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Win 2003 and PIXen

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 08:08:47 -0400

Al,

This should not be an issue with PIX OS v6.3. This is why we added the capability to disable or modify the DNS Guard feature in PIX OS v6.3.

We recently noted more implementations of BIND using DNSSec features (i.e. allowing the DNS extended attribute bit to be set and accepting responses larger than 512 bytes).

DNS Guard in the PIX makes sure that for every DNS request that traverses the Firewall only one response is allowed in return. We also check to make sure that the response is less than a (now variable) size. That response used to be limited to 512 bytes.

In PIX OS v6.3 you can disable the DNS Guard or modify the size of allowed DNS response (up to the 1500 byte Ethernet packet size).

Liberty for All,

Brian