Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Rationale for BSD (I)PF rule order?

From: "Bill Royds" <Bill () royds net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 21:10:15 -0400

Is it not better to have a ruleset firing on closest fit?. Decide on which
rule to apply based on a nesting of address space (single hosts with subnets
within domains within interfaces, exact ports within port ranges etc.) and
match on protocol (UDP versus ICMP versus TCP etc.) Rules are made of tuples
similar to sockets, except that there are other possible dimensions added
(protocol, authenticated, un-authenticated, source interface, destination
interface, time of day, phase of moon etc.). Order of rule firing based on
textual order is always going to create problems.
If the firewall can generate this tree implied by nesting, then rul elookup
will be faster as well, since the maximum lookup is log(nesting factor) and
it can still be done with hash table lookup.