Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Monitoring

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 07:41:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Zahid Ahmad Khan wrote:

situation. They are paranoid about pilferage of research work and want
to monitor and log all email traffic (Vectors and contents of POP, SMTP
& IMAP). They require the following:

1) Log all in and out bound emails (All employees have been duly
informed of the fact).

Most brokerage houses do this.

2) Generate email vector logs.
3) Flag and stop any email with unauthorized contents.
4) Only interested in traffic on the WAN and Internet interface (E-1,
E-3, OC-3, POS)
5) Do not want to log or see any internal traffic which might be contain
sensitive R&D info.

I was thinking of putting together a system using pcap for capturing
traffic and using/developing an analysis reporting engine. Due to the
urgency of client requirements, I will appreciate if anyone could let me
know of any good analysis and reporting tools/systems or even a complete
monitoring system. At this moment I am open any inputs regarding
commercial as well as open source tools/products.

SilentRunner claims to have been developed for exactly this sort of
application.  I've not used it for that particular function, but it looks
as if it'd do it.  I'm not aware of any other products that provide the
same "track the content" functionality.

Paul