Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: performance management on pix firewalls

From: "Crissup, John (MBNP is)" <John.Crissup () us millwardbrown com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:24:40 -0500

  I am working on this same task.  We are currently evaluating LogAppliance
from FireVue (http://www.firevue.com/LA-PIX%20datasheet.pdf).  It's
basically a syslog server with a web front end and a MySQL back end runnign
on a linux distribution.  You configure your PIX to send debug level syslog
entries to it and it generates traffic logs based on the TCP connections and
teardown events.  However, at this point in time, I'm not real impressed
with what I see.  The box is around $20,000 including one year maintenance
and seems to be lacking in any real reporting features.  I'm being told that
the reporting features are in the works and will be added soon.  I also seem
to be having difficulty always finding the info I want and find myself going
back to my old syslog server looking for attack trends that this box seems
to mask.

  I would love to know what other admins are using.  I'm looking for
something that will allow me to see trends and also do some analysis graphs.

--
John