Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Sunscreen EFS 3.1 stealth mode and NAT

From: Roy Culley <tgdcuro1 () gd2 swissptt ch>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:08:34 +0200

I have a sunscreen in stealth mode. I have been asked to do a static
NAT of an internal host which has a private address.

I added the private address (private_dns) to the address group for the
internal interface (so it has now the internal stealth net addresses and
this private address).

I added the NAT address (private_dns_nat), which is part of the stealth
subnet address range, to the address group for the external interface. I
added 2 NAT rules:

1 STATIC "private_dns" "*" "private_dns_nat" "*"
2 STATIC "*" "private_dns_nat" "*" "private_dns"

When I snoop the incoming and outgoing interfaces I see the packet
arriving on the internal interface with src address private_dns. I
see a packet go out on the external interface with src address
private_dns_nat. The reply packet comes in the external interface
with dst address private_dns_nat. This packet does not appear on
the internal interface.

The sunscreen log shows the initial packet arriving on the internal
interface as passed. The return packet arriving on the external
interface is also logged pass.

Does anyone know why the return packet is not being sent out on the
internal interface?