Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Custom Unix server installations -- to harden extensively ?

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:12:16 -0400

--On Tuesday, May 13, 2003 22:21:04 +0800 Julian Gomez <kluivert () tm net my> wrote:

Hi,

What is the relative opinion of hardening general purpose Unix servers
(general == mail, web, db hosts). Obviously, wherever possible, I'd like
to get most of the unwanted packages stripped and removed; but very
frequently -- this is extremely time consuming and is alot of
documentation work (which btw, no one ever bothers to read).

Alas, this usually conflicts in the future when there is a need for
additional software to be implemented, the whole compiling + installation
steps, but the relevant packages have been removed as per the hardening
work done in the above paragraph.

So, what do most of you all do :

        a) Leave the possibly-relevant future packages, intact on the
           system, and just perform permission tweaks ?

I seem to be in the minority here, but I firmly believe that the costs of maintaining a stripped down build exceed the security gains achieved by removing binaries. Once you have:

- removed setuid permissions
- removed setgid permissions
- removed world writeable files/directories
- removed group writeable files/directories
- ensured all files are owned by root
- ensured that only the required software is started at boot time

An attacker is left with no method for privilege escalation. Removing binaries only stops script kiddies - anyone who has access to run processes on your box can install anything they want (assuming they can create executable files).

Of course, some application software requires exception to the above, and some OS functions do as well (such as the pt_chown binary on solaris to implement the grantpt() function).

--
Carson