Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Cisco PIX Questions

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:01:39 -0500

With regard to 6.2, it's still not a stable release.  Do you need specific features (i.e. PPPoE or N2H2 url-server)
that only 6.2 supports?  If not, installing 6.1 may clear up some of your headaches.

I haven't seen the specific problem you describe in #1, but I've had other problems w/ PDM and 6.2.  Also, with regard
to #3, you may find it difficult to find a log analysis tool that supports 6.2.  The syslog format changed in 6.2, so
many vendors are still working to add support for the new format to their products.  If you were running 5.x through
6.1, however, I would recommend WebTrends Firewall Suite or NetSpective.

As far as #2 goes, you have to explicitly block ICMP to the PIX interface(s) you don't want people to ping using the
'icmp' command.  For example, 'icmp deny any outside' would block ICMP traffic to the outside interface address.  Hope
that helps!

PaulM