Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: An article from Peter Tippett/TruSecure...

From: Barney Wolff <barney () pit databus com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:48:55 -0500

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:22:01PM -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

The point that Peter's making is that chasing vulnerabilities just because
they exist isn't efficient, nor really achievable.  There were ~2200-2400
new vulnerabilites announced last year, and as near as I can tell,
between 1 and 2% of those new vulnerabilities got exploited at real companies.

That means that if you spent time patching say an applicable 70% of those
vulnerabilities, then 68% of that time was wasted.

It's purely a risk funciton- and if you have good data on which small
percentage of new vulnerabilities are going to be exploited and which ones
have historically been exploited, then you can reduce your risk by
about the same ammount by patching let's say 5% of those vulnerabilities
instead of every one.

That saves you 65% of the maintenance, fixes, "patch breaks things" and all
the associated change control stuff.  If you pay folks overtime, or
give comp. time for staying late to patch, those can go down significantly
too- *especially* if you have protections in place that limit damage from a
particular vector for long enough between vulnerability disclosure,
exploit coding and a normal maintenance cycle.

This strategy might work against script kiddies, but is sure to fail
against an attacker who knows you're using it!

I also question the notion that keeping up requires patching 70%
of 2200-2400 vulnerabilities.  If you have a myriad of different
systems or apps *exposed* you've taken diversity beyond sanity.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.