Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Peer to peer tools

From: m p <sumirati () yahoo de>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:43:59 +0100 (CET)

 --- Tim Chettle <tim.chettle () orange net> schrieb: > I have come across an
application called E-donkey which is a Peer to peer
file sharing tool

In the past I have blocked similar tools by blocking access to the directory
servers that the software uses however this tool appear to replicate the
server lists to create a web affect.

Whilst at present looking at the server list hosted on the site there are a
list of IP Address' that I can block access to I am looking for a more
permanent solution that I could hopefully block at my web cache.

Anybody any experience / suggestions as to how to approach this and also
what other peer to peer tools do people block and how

Hi Tim,

this is discussed in the archives. And what other applications exist is also in
the archives or Google.

E-donkey is 3 years out now. How do you learned from it now?

The main approach for firewalls should be/is: Block all traffic. Now think
about punching holes in it for the proxies and the servers. No client should
connect directly to the net. -> No problems with the most tools.
If your approach is to selectivly blocking ports for applications which are
"bad" it won't help you much since programs edonkey can change their port.

Marc