Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Backup exec agent in dmz

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:44:31 -0400

Samba comes to mind...

(going far afield now)

That said, what do you really need to back up on the DNS and web servers?

Web sites are often mirrored internally - either in source control or just a
flat-file system.

The dns server records should be tiny text files.  You can update two sets
of DNS files, right?  Or just pull down the zone file(s) after making
changes...

If you really want to minimize potential down-time, make a Ghost (or
similar) image of each Red Hat box.  If you need the logs, pull them out
with ftp or samba or (insert file transfer protocol here).

Your disaster-recovery model is pretty straightforward - ghost image to
replacement disk, then drop in the most recent DNS and web-site files.

No muss, no fuss, no *nix agents with open access to your
AD/Exchange/BackupExec/eggs-in-one-basket box (sorry, couldn't resist any
longer).

Cheers,

David