Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PIX VPN Question

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:33:19 -0500

All,

Having an issue with a VPN configuration for a PIX and I am missing
something that I can't figure out. Here is the scenario:

VPNCLIENT-----PIX501----INET-----PIX506

VPN Client is running Cisco VPN Client 4.0.1. PIX 506 is running 6.2(2). PIX
501 is running 6.2(2).

I have configured the PIX 506 to support clients connecting. If I connect
without the PIX501 in between the VPNCLIENT and the PIX506, it works
perfect. I connect, authenticate, can browse remote resources, can browse
the internet, everything. As soon as I put the VPNCLIENT behind the PIX501
it stops being able to connect.

I have tried using it with "Enable Transport Tunneling" selected and using
both "IPSec over UDP/NAT" and "IPSec over TCP" with port 10000 in use. When
I set the UDP/Nat setting, I don't even see connection attempts being
translated in the PIX501. If I set it to TCP I can see the translations
created in the PIX501 but I don't see anything on the PIX506. Is there
something I need to run on the PIX506 to configure it to expect TCP VPN
connections inbound on port 10000? The PIX501 is running PAT on a single
external IP address.

I have checked Cisco's website and can't find anything that details
configuring a VPN through a PIX using a VPNCLIENT. I feel like I am missing
something (obviously) but I can't seem to put my finger on what it is. Any
help is appreciated. Thanks.

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com