Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

IRC security (was Re: Benefit of firewall over NAT-only ...)

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:48:39 -0400

2003-05-29T10:43:16 Paul Robertson:
[ Just Say No to IRC :-]

I just stumbled across a freshmeat announcement of SecureServ:

 About: SecureServ is an IRC trojan detector. It's much like a
 virus scanner, but aimed at IRC networks. Using several methods,
 including version checks, behavior analysis, and general pattern
 matching, it aims to detect trojans, viruses, and floodbots
 which connect to your IRC network. Its "brains" are based on a
 "Definition file" which contains information on how to detect
 trojans. To update detection for new trojans, you only have to
 download a new file.

<URL:http://www.neostats.net/index.php?id=81>

While I've not had occasion to use IRC yet myself, I do like to
bookmark things like this against a rainy day.

-Bennett