Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application Intelligent vs ALG

From: Tony Miedaner <miedaner () twcny rr com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:39:30 -0400

I attended an event where they discussed this. Basically, what you pay for with Checkpoint is Inspect. What they are doing is making it easier for you to create inspect code. Basically it has always been there with inspect it just that you had to write an inspect script and really know what you are doing to use it. Some of the SmartDefense write-ups indicate what you are going to be able to do.

Will it scale to thousands of little scripts?  Can't answer that.

Does it provide any better coverage than a proxy. Maybe or Maybe Not. I guess as everything it depends what you are comparing it against.

Like anything if it doesn't do a single particular function that you need then it is kind of useless.