Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ip track through natting

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:40:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, parul devgan wrote:

The mail server is on a private network, the client ip
address is natted when the request comes to the mail
server. The problem is that I have to find the client
ip address without the nat address.

That's an abnormal setup.  You should NAT the server's address, not the
client's.  Otherwise, you'll have to get the info from the NAT device, or
trust the EHLO/HELO or message headers.

Paul