Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Linux Firewall on CD

From: Barney Wolff <barney () databus com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:14:14 -0400

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:29:03PM -0400, Paul Robertson wrote:

Again, the real game is going through the firewall- these days the way
most are deployed, there's not much to be gained on the firewall, unless
the attacker wants an open relay for spamming.

I don't understand.  Presumably the firewall had some utility, or this
list is a waste of time.  At the very least, a compromised firewall can
be turned into an "allow any to any" rule, so whatever protection it was
providing is gone.  Beyond that, the firewall makes a wonderful base for
further attacks, as it has interfaces on trusted inside and management
networks.  Surely this is obvious, so I must be missing your point.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.