Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OpenSource Firewall for ISP or Webhost

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:54:04 +0530

On 11/07/03 19:21 -0600, Jim McAtee wrote:
<snip>
What I'm looking for, if it exists, is an installation that supports an
unlimited number of interfaces (well, at least four anyway), good logging,
intrusion detection, NAT, bandwidth shaping/limiting, and 802.1q VLAN tagging.
I don't need a GUI - I'd be just as happy if the only permitted administrative
connections were via SSH.  I can also deal with editing configuration files
and the nuances of iptables, ipfilter, etc.
I don't know if the *BSDs will do VLAN tagging, but they will do all the
rest.
Logging works well in Linux and *BSD, snort runs on both for an IDS.
Both can NAT, http://www.lartc.org/ for full shaping with Linux, if you
can just do with bandwidth throttling, rshaper is a good idea.

Where I need help is that I don't feel I have a thorough enough understanding
of Linux or BSD to be able to confidently know that I've completely secured
the system when working from a standard installation.  So something like IPCop
where you've got an easy, minimalist OS installation that is locked down
out of the box and offers some of the tools I mention above is what I'm
looking for.
http://www.openbsd.org/
OpenBSD is the most locked down by default system out there.
You can always do a minimalistic installation of any distribution of
choice for Linux|BSD and use that instead of a more specialized
distribution. Just don't go with the standard install. A lot of things
can be removed from default installs of RedHat et al, or you could go with
Gentoo/Debian/Slack/distro of choice.

Devdas Bhagat