Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Jonn Martell wrote:

Doesn't V6 allow for end-to-end encryption and authentication?

SSL allows for end-to-end encryption and authentication.  That just
doesn't happen to *solve* many of our problems.

That would solve a lot of issues for secure networks.  And with the cap
off addresses, it should make thing very interesting.  It will change
the Internet so that unauthenticated traffic will get a different class
of service.

If your routers have to authenticate traffic to figure out the QoS for the
traffic, you're going to have to do some significant infrastructure
changes that don't just involve renumbering.  If you're going to defeat
replay attacks, connection setup is going to suck.

NAT was a hack and although it works fine for small environments it
falls apart for large user networks. The lack of auditing is pure
nightmare for tracking down abuse from the inside in a large network.

You get as much auditing as you put in, no matter if the address space is
routed externally or not- NAT adds nor subtracts from that equation.  Most
switches solve that problem these days with 802.1x.  802.1x is your
friend.  Embrace 802.1x.

I applaud the DOD efforts, they created the Internet and I have no doubt
that mandating V6 will tip the scales for adoption. They did this in
early 80 with IP, they'll do it again.

DoD really doesn't have a good reason for interoperating with the
commercial Internet in peer to peer mode, in fact I'd be that many folks
inside DoD wish they didn't ;)

Anyway, Al Gore created the Internet ;)

Paul