Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sync Firewall Policy (Checkpoint NG FP2)

From: Yinal Ozkan <Yinal.Ozkan () Integralis Com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:59:22 -0400

Since you are planning to synch firewall rulebase, I assume that you are
planning to synch the management server. You cannot sync only rules, you
need many other elements (e.g. object repository, certificates). You must
have a distributed installation which means that your management server and
the firewall modules must be installed on separate boxes.

The best way to accomplish this task is to use "Management HA" feature of
Check Point. The second server must be installed as secondary, if you have
the correct licenses the rest is simple. If you are interested in this
feature I may post more information. Management HA only works on identical
OS and distributed installations.

Alternate setup without Management HA: Since FW-1 is a certificate authority
you should copy certificates, and the certificates are bound to the name of
the hosts, so cold stand-by scenarios are not simple "copy files" setups.
Both hosts should have the same FQDN (though it doesn't sound logical)  In
FP3 I would recommend using upgrade export import utilities which work
perfect (you still need to change IPs). In this scenario you may not get
logs to the secondary when it is not active.

fyi,
- yinal ozkan