Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: A little paranoia for the weekend...

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:43:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:

From the other side of the coin:

But if the credential is lost, isn't the data history as well?

Generally, yes, however it's not always the case.  If, for instance, I
time and trip limit remote access to a resource, then the credential's
lifetime is limited.  It always concerns me when we look at point
solutions instead of solving classes of problems- and this is classic-
from the technologist's standpoint, limiting the credential is most of the
point.  Very few technologists (and yes, I'm overgeneralizing) deal with
trade secrets, business secrets, etc.

I'm a lot like Arkady, my data isn't always all that important, so fixing
the credential problem makes sense.  But when that solution gets rolled
out to the general user population, we get a threat and protection
mismatch.  Like with SSL, we're focusing on the wrong part of the problem-
moving the encrypted data down to a trusted host (like the cellular phone
cited) is a good solution, and fixes the issue in a much more effective
manner (assuming a lot of prerequisites, but hey...)

Paul