Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: HA Gauntlet 6.0 ???

From: Darryl Luff <darryl () snakegully nu>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:52:24 +1100

In 1991 I was working with some Gauntlet 'e-ppliance' boxes that had been setup for HA. I can't remember the Gauntlet version. In the default configuration the boxes didn't fail over unless the primary (active) server was physically powered off. Unplugging network connections didn't trigger a failover. It was the same on all boxes so it wasn't just an isolated problem. There was no documentation included for configuring the HA component.

Querying the vendors about docs for the HA component got the standard 'you cant fiddle with those settings becuse it will invalidate your support' comment. I tried to grab the HA docs from the HA vendor's site, but the HA software version used with the Gauntlet was obsolete.

I was then occupied by other things and handed the problem over (lucky me). I believe that the boxes were eventually replaced with Nokia's running Checkpoint.

This was a while ago now, so things might have changed. But I'd make sure you get some eval boxes and test them in your planned configuration before parting with any money. Make sure you check that the failover function actually works when you expect it to.

jsanchez () myalert com wrote:

HI all,

we are thinking on builiding and ha environment with 2 gauntlet 6.0, looks like the only ha agent supoorted by gauntlet is the veritas cluster 4.7, am i rigth ???

Has enyone sucessfully tested or tried any ha agent with gauntlet 6 ??

TIA