Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

PIXen spewing udp packets at port 111?!

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:29:10 -0500 (EST)

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the PIX admins on the  list might be
able to point me at the misconfiguration that would cause a PIX, doing PAT
for one or more  subnets behind it, might spew udp packets to port 111 on
systems the PAT'ed users behind it are connecting to.  The services
offered to the users are FTP and HTTP, being web hosts and all.

From the recent loging thread on pix'en, it seems to clarify why the
admins we are dealing with have not been able to trace the issues on their
end, and leads us to suspect the packets are from the pix itself rather
then the clients behind it...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!