Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Acqusition of time

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:53:38 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Brian Monkman wrote:

Folks - I'm having a discussion with a few people and we have a
question that we are interested in getting comments from the list on.

Are there any situations where a firewall's acqusition of time
could/should be from a network time source? Not necessarily a public
source, it could be an "internal" time source.

Could be, sure.

If there are situations where this makes sense, should these same
firewalls have battery backed up clocks on board or would that be
unnecessary?

Imagine you had some SQL servers which got hit with a worm that
propogated, and you allowed all outbound traffic.  Let's say the worm
generated enough traffic to fill up the state table on the firewall, and
due to a bug it ended up rebooting.  Now, the internal network flood is
still going on.  An attacker decides to take advantage of the mayhem to
launch a real attack against you, and the NTP server isn't reachable
because the switch it's sitting on has 8 vulnerable neighbors plugged into
it....

What time gets written to the logs when the attack commences?

Worse yet, let's say it's protecting a small business or a home and
doesn't have all the good constant power that we tend to see in large
companies...

While I've often said that it's a good thing to be able to take a cheap
GPS and add a stratum 1 timeserver to a network, any time you add an
external dependency, you really, really need to think through the
scenerios, especially if you're going to have to take log files to court.

Paul
ps: Posting from home doesn't improve your odds ;)