Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads? (choosing a provider)

From: Mike Hoskins <mike () adept org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:08:31 -0800 (PST)

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Mike, one problem with choosing hosting providers is that it is very
difficult for people to find the info you are refering to.

I whole-heartedly agree.  I've been on the ISP/NSP side (buying bandwidth
and transit) and the customer side (hosted and leased line).  You just
can't help having advantages as a big player.

To the community's credit, there are places like NANOG where even the
small guys can subscribe to a read-only list allowing them to keep up on
"peer gossip."  You often have to take things with a grain of salt, but
there are also numerous useful discussions, and often involvement by the
vendor or provider to reach a resolution.

the major companies can do it becouse they have people with contact who
can learn the truth via word-of-mouth, but amall companies looking for
their first hosting company don't have that advantage. and once a
company start useing one hosting company it takes a significant issue
before it's possible to justify the horrendes expense of moving.

Even more difficult today, the "best" provider from a technical standpoint
often isn't the right choice.  I've seen "better" providers fold and more
"moderately good" ones stick around through shakey economics.  It's a
stressful time to be a network guy.  :)

--
Mike Hoskins            This message is RFC 1855 compliant,
mike () adept org               www.adept.org/pub/rfcs/rfc1855.html