Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: WINS Registration Issue through IPSEC VPN

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:07:37 +0100

Mods on crack! Mods on crack! Welcome to
firewalls-and-general-sysadmin-wizards! ;)

Anyway...

You've basically answered your own question. WINS doesn't work through some
NAT implementations.

Normally with an IPSec VPN you would be assigning clients addresses on your
internal network and NAT shouldn't be an issue. I don't know why you're
"forced to NAT", but that's a different story - intuitively the client
should register as multihomed (one address on the remote LAN and one address
that the VPN has assigned to them) and things should just work. Anyway, it's
not really relevant.

On W2K clients you can disable NetBT (netbios over TCP/IP) which will stop
the name registration. On NT4 I don't see why just disabling the WINS client
binding under the TCP properties shouldn't work. On the server side...you
should probably do all the research yourself - like 'em or loathe 'em, MS do
provide pretty good documentation for their own stuff. You could disable
WINS resolution on the servers (but that has downsides) or change the
NetBIOS node type, but both of those solutions mess with the network
performance.

Good luck.

ben
(Paul and mjr - you know I'm kidding about that crack thing...right? Right?
I just x97%###Le0: NO CARRIER)