Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Open Source Port Tracking

From: "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS () saic com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:02:30 -0500

I've been trying ntop, but it doesn't track all ports.
I know IPFilter has a count option, but it would be
tedious to set up 65,535x2 rules for all TCP/UDP ports.
Could someone recommend something else?

There's an ancient tool called nnstat that does what you're
looking for; I don't know if it runs on newer UNIXes - it's
kind of crufty but it's real good for producing network
statistics based on packet level stuff.  A lot of the concepts
of the first version Network Flight Recorder were extensions
and improvements on the ideas in nnstat.

See also iptraf + rrdtool -- I had just happened upon
  http://www.taedium.net/rrd-iptraf/
and it looks as though it will do what I think you want
as well.  I haven't implemented it yet, but I'll be trying
to in the very near future as a supplement to IDSs here.
It will also require some configuration, so it isn't a perfect
fit for what you want.  But just think: Ooh, shiny!  Neat pointy
clicky graphs!

Just for completeness and since I was interested in the topic,
I found a copy of the last unofficial beta of NNstat (3.3b)
and it looks as though it might be non-trivial to get it working
on current operating systems--and I have no interest in running
IRIX 5 or SunOS 4 on a security-critical node.  Actually, it
might be simpler to just re-implement it against libpcap.  If
anyone's done either (get NNstat working on current OSs, or
re-implement the concept with libpcap) I'd love to know more.

Or you could just buy an NFR license...

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer, SAIC Enterprise Security Solutions