Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN Gateway And Nat

From: Dave Mitchell <dmitchell () viawest net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:20:56 -0700

Correct. I'm not familiar with any products that allow for the actual IPSec termination
device to be natted. As far as I was concerned it was presented as a means to help RAS
or spoke VPN sites create a tunnel to a hub site if they are natted. Would cause authentication
to fail due to the outer IP header being modified on the return trip.

The Cisco VPN3000 supports both TCP and UDP re-encapsulation in order to perform this, but
it's obviously not a standard and you need to use their client to do it. Netscreen does it
also, but with their client. Most vendors use a mode configuration type of IKE with vendor
ID's in the payloads in order to verify it is their equipment on the remote end.

If the hub site was natted too, you would get the following during IKE:

Client Side:

sends packet:

[public_nat_ip[udp10000].[rfc1918_ip].[udp500][ikePayload]  -> vpn_gateway_ip

Server Side:

router_does_nat -> client_public_IP -> vpn_gateway_rfc1918ip

The IPSec device would now inspect the initial IKE datagram, and depending on how the
IPSec/NAT implementation is done (usually some sort of aggressive/mode config) and would
try to reply to the client on the desired UDP or TCP port, but when the router performs
outbound NAT for the VPN gateway again, it would modify the outer header and source port
thus causing the connection to fail.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The whole double nat thing get pretty bulky to put out in ASCII
properly. :)

I'd suggest just adding a subinterface on the router (assuming you don't have anymore ports)
and route public space to the outside of the VPN device. If the VPN device doesn't do
firewalling also, I'd hang the VPN device off of a DMZ port of your firewall.

-dave