Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Webex and the like

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:38:55 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Steve Smith wrote:

I hope this subject hasn't been harped on too much - I just joined your

Around December 2001 archives for the old firewalls list should give my
perspective.

group.  Our corporation has blocked access to GoToMyPC and Webex due to
security concerns.  As a firewall administrator, I had to block the IP
range of both sites.  We have taken a lot of slack about the Webex site, all
of them saying it is "so very safe, since
all traffic is originated inside, and the security very granular".  We even
have a vendor that states Webex is their only way of supporting their
product.  How does everyone else feel about/handle Webex andsimilar sites?

Personally, I'd only open access for the duration of a support event if I
had a vendor who had to use the product.  I recall reading at some point
somewhere about someone messing around and getting a different connection
(not sure if it was on the vendor side or client side, and I don't have
confirmation, but a google might turn it up.)

In short, you're relying on (a) Vendor's support staff integrity (and
potentially "just been given the opportunity to seek a new career" folks),
(b) WebEx's server's security (which they didn't want to discuss in the
thread I participated in without an NDA.

Lastly, you might want to see if WebEx or vendors using it as a support
vector are willing to insure any losses taken from that vector.  Make sure
they include current/former employees as well as 3rd parties.  Vendors
using it for support save some money, so I don't see where they shouldn't
share the risk.

Paul