Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Windows host-based firewalling feasibility (was term inal services)

From: "Carroll, Shawn" <SCarroll () chittenden com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:44:45 -0500

# It's an ephemeral port- just blocking it may make random
# stuff not work in
# some situations (like say DNS...)
#
# It takes someone who's thought it out to do the filtering correclty.
#
# Unfortunately, in my experience that's not going to happen in
# response to
# a worm.
#
# > someone in one of those discussions mentioned, often the
# information made
# > available on a threat, often gets read and interpreted in
# far too strict
# > and narrow a sense to deal with a potential threat in a
# decisive manner
# > the first time out.
#
# The worst part is that this is blockable at the host on
# Win2k- if we had
# host-based default deny, we'd be looking at a better
# landscape for sure.

You bring up a good point, similar to the patch thing, but this time about
Win2k host-based firewalling:  feasibility.

You know, I think this is more difficult than for border routers.  The sheer
number of ports and aps/subsystems trying to use a given port on a Win2k box
(say, for example, an Exchange Server) is really hard for me to keep track
of.  I invested a moderate amount of time researching to figure out what the
various ports were for, etc. and came nowhere close to getting to the bottom
of it, or feeling like I had it under control.

Lot of work.  I've done it, and it seems like regularly some component pops
out of the woodwork and wants to talk to something on a port I don't
recognize.  And then, as Steve mentions, you have a self-DOS for as long as
it takes for you to ammend the (growing) ruleset.

For me, implementing this on anything but a few internet-facing machines
ONLY is infeasible.  Does anyone do Windows host-based firewalling on the
internal LAN or on a larger scale?

# I can say that for every firewall I've set up, this wouldn't
# have gotten
# in or out that way.  I can also assure you that folks who're
# doing a good
# job of default deny at their border routers didn't get it from the
# Internet at large.  Steve's right on that score- firewalls
# work fine for
# ensuring that primary infection vectors are killed.  Wes is
# right too,
# that leaves secondaries like VPNs.  You're still better off with a
# properly configured perimeter though, no matter what else you've got.
#
# Paul