Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: insecurity in internet connection thro cable modems

From: Scot Hartman <shartman () inflow com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:37:06 -0700

I would suppose it would be a matter of what you are more comfortable with.

They are both similar firewall types, but if you're partial to the PIX CLI
then, well, you have your preference.  If you like NS, can't blame you there
either.  We use both, each have their own strengths.

If I was going to manage a single firewall or maybe a single point-to-point
tunnel, I personally prefer the PIX because of my own comfort zone.  Hit
it via ssh, https, or use a console connection.  I'm not as knowledgable
with the NS CLI, so you tend to stay with what you know until changing
really makes sense.  The improvements in the recent firmware versions
really augment the troubleshooting capability (tcpdump spelled 'capture')
and I agree it is easier to generate keys.

If I'm building a larger VPN infrastructure though, I'm going with the
Netscreen and managing the whole mess with Global Pro.  Adding and removing
endpoints for a full-mesh or even a hub and spoke once you get beyond a few
devices is made manageable.  Some added niceties for polling to see if the
tunnel is active is nice.  I've also seen much better VPN throughput for
the dollar on the NS-5 vs the PIX 501.

Scot