Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: You'll never get fired for recommending IBM - sorry - Microsoft

From: Breno Jacinto <breno () gamebox net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:35:01 -0300

* MHawkins () TULLIB COM (MHawkins () TULLIB COM) wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Regarding monoculture, let me use a common analogy. My car is no more or
less secure than any other car because it's a car among several
manufacturers, with hundreds of car alarm manufacturers and products,
services. Imagine a world for car thiefs where 99% of the cars are made by
one manufacturer and car alarm manfacturers are only allowed to stick their
alarms in the passenger compartment. No security device is allowed under the
hood. There'd be more stolen cars per day than the public would be willing
to accept. Things would change. The monopoly would be broken up.

   I used to think like this. But notice the sentence: 'No security device is allowed under the
hood.'. If we go to computers, this is false. You can run the firewall
of your choice, as well as AV, and implement the security policy you want.
And thats the point where monoculture doesnt matter.

   Yes, M$ is lousy when it comes to security. They spent more money on
   cosmetics than on security. But imagine that Apple had the monopoly,
   and MacOS X was run by 99% of the world, wouldn't it be the same
   thing? If people dont care about security, ANY system will be
   insecure, even the paranoid OpenBSD.

   The point for Blaster being such a success wasnt for Windows
   Monoculture. It was because people werent running any firewall to
   simply block 135 or worse, wasnt even *AWARE* port 135 was open in
   his computer. This is what has to be changed! Security is not tied to
   an specific OS, its tied to a decent policy and user education and
   proper use of security technologies.

Should we accept the same in the computer industry?

Can anyone think of a monopoly of a manufacturer good like Microsoft has
today?

  No this is no good. But it is exageration to say that because of this
  the Internet is insecure. It's bad 'coz M$ manipulates people, forcing
  an endless (free software is changing it) dependency game. But this is
  too off-topic :).

Mike H

cheers,

// Breno Jacinto
// breno () freeunix com br
// Key fingerprint = A5C3 3B22 140D C973 6AC6  2D62 2318 B8FA 15F9 D3FC
// Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the
// ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous