Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OSPF on Firewall

From: "Carroll, Shawn" <SCarroll () chittenden com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:16:36 -0500

That depends on the firewall.  If you implement a bridging
firewall, then there should be no reason the routers need to
know that anything has changed.

OpenBSD on a Pentium-100 is something I've done myself.  Two nics, no IP addresses necessary on either interface.
BRIDGES the packets from one machine to the next, so therefore is not another hop, and is transparent, except for
picking off the packets you don't like, based on TCP/IP addresses/ports or other criteria you define.  Think
"packet-filtering bridge", FAQs on the web.

If inserting the firewall changes the path, then the obvious
solution is to have the firewall use OSPF also (assuming it's
supported).  I don't want to say "no other way," but it does
make sense.

PaulM