Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Fw: [Full-Disclosure] DCOM Exploit MS03-026 attack vectors

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 07:33:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Jeremiah Cornelius wrote:

    <snip>

Because 9 times out of 10 port 135 is blocked by some sort of
firewall,
whilst port 80 is not blocked on a web server.

Not telecommuters on dial-up IP's and Blue-Toothed into the net thru
their Ericsson phones, and surfing from the airport and WIFI cafes of
the
world.

Telecommuters should have explicit security controls on their machines, as
should laptop users.  That's true no matter how they connect to your
network, so it's not going to get any more worrisome if it's blue tooth
versus a leased line.

    </snip>

Bluetooth phones as modems!  I have been calling on this issue for some
time, and generally received a dismissive response from System
Administrators and IT management.  No one wants the work load or
responsibility this entails.  I suppose that if you don't acknowledge the
problem's existence, you can't be faulted for lack of due care!  If they
keep their heads in the sand long enough, somebody is  going to find out
what Ostrich meat tastes like...

As this technology becomes more prevalent over the next 2 years or so, you
can kiss your idea of perimeter goodbye.  A better argument for 'defence
in
depth' and 'crunchy centers' could not be made.  All hosts should be
handled
as if they were accessible from untrusted segments - they soon will be, if
they are not already.

The same was said of desktop modems years ago when they started to become
cheap (Back when Baud and BPS matched.)  Then again, when folks started
deploying restrictive firewalls.  It's been said of VPNs, WiFi...

This is just the technology we already have on hand.  Remote, mobile, FAST
communications technologies are springing up like weeds.  Bluetooth
scanning
is inherently more problematic than looking for a rogue WiFi AP.  The
technology is mobile, VERY short range/low power, and has legitimate
business use on multi-function devices.  You can't expect to wrap your
building in a Faraday cage -  there is no way to gatekeep this.  It will
have to be a condition we adapt ourselves to deal with.  Begin with
hardened
hosts.  Even marketroid laptops.  Ultimately, something like mutual host
authentication/authorization is going to be needed everywhere on the
inside - but it's obviously not a cure-all.  If my laptop is a router for
my
phone, which is a router for kiddeez...  Kiddee is authed to my server.

It's gonna' be a fun ride, and the best is yet to come!
[snip]
firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
http://honor.icsalabs.com/mailman/listinfo/firewall-wizards
[-Wiz's address left in since this is crossposted.]

It's not going to be that difficult to check at the host end.  One of my
employer's security assurance program includes a desktop-based TAPI-aware
tool for finding modems, and has for years.  Looking for whatever
characteristics blue tooth devices have is going to be significantly
easier than looking for AV signature versions for even half a dozen AV
companies (they generally obfuscate the heck out of signature files, since
that's the bulk of their intellectual property, OEMs put files in
different places...)

War dialing will be less useful, but I don't think handling alternative
communications paths will be all that difficult for the majority of
desktop users, most especially in Microsoft environments, and especially
if it's tied to either domain authentication or better-yet down the road
something 802.1x-based.

Finally, there are other vectors for discovering things like that on Win*
boxes- such as network-based scanning for multiple IP addresses (which
current Windows platforms will tell you about if you ask nicely at the
NIC.)

Paul