Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Strange outbound connections.

From: "George J. Jahchan, Eng." <Firewall-Wizards () Compucenter org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:48:26 +0300

On a Win2K Pro station, I am seeing in the packet  filter log a couple of
times a day blocked outbound UDP connection attempts, always from port
source port 17664 on LAN IP to the IP addresses of DNS Servers on the
Internet (configured in TCP/IP DNS network settings), ports 66, 70 (majority
of attempts) and 113. The anti-virus with up-to-date definitions says the
system is clean. The system is on a 3-station + Win2K DC LAN, with no WAN
connections.

Packet filter policy (stateful) is to explicitly allow connections from/to
valid services + LAN IP address combos (only the used addresses + broadcast
address), all else being denied and logged.

An audit of running processes did not reveal anything that raised suspicion.

I strongly suspect a trojan lurking in the system. Any idea(s) on how to
nail down the culprit?

TIA