Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: MSBlast circumventing host firewall

From: Paul Matuszewski <sase () five-elements com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:48:51 -0500

Aye,
The reason you're seeing this is because of the actual use of winproxy.

It'll dot the job at firewalling (per say) things to the inside interfaces,
but it still hasn't taken care of the actual ports on the machine itself.
You'll have to patch those bad boys up right away.  Fixing the issue with
the open ports can be taken care of by remove windows networking and the
related services to the port.  However, you might run into trouble with
WinProxy failing because of it, not too familar with the software here.

That's why people use inline firewalls/filtering routers... just so you
know.

Good luck, and yeah, good luck

Paul Matuszewski
In Office Networks