Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Blocking MS Blaster

From: Dave Killion <Dkillion () netscreen com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:17:23 -0700

I'd say that's overkill, but overkill never hurt anything.

You really only need 135 blocked inbound to prevent msblast, but all of
those ports you've closed need to be closed for other reasons.  Really,
all ports inbound should be blocked, except for those specific services
you serve (and those ports monitored and servers kept patched).

You have 2 ports for msblast backwards, however - both 69 and 4444 are not
inet-lan, but lan-inet.  Once infected, the worm uses those ports to go
*out*.  If you get hits on those rules, something very bad has happened.

Good luck!

Dave Killion
Senior Security Engineer
Security Group, NetScreen Technologies, Inc.