Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: port forward question

From: Javier Sanchez <jsanchez () myalert com>
Date: 30 Apr 2003 14:46:18 +0200

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 14:05, Robert E. Martin wrote:
I have a web server inside a port fw box. This is a NAT box that runs
iptables to allow port forwarding to a web server. I want to run a form
script on the web server....formmail.cgi. The web server is a linux box
with sendmail. Should I have port 25 open to the world to allow this
form to work? I am kind of new to this so be gentle.

The easiest way is to allow outgoing traffic to port 25, this will let
your sendmail to communicate with other ones and deliver the mails.

With something like iptables -A output -s mail_server_ip -dport 25 -j
accept, but all depends on your fw policy.

I suppose the real question here is , How do I allow sendmail to _send_
_mail_ from a dnat'd web server?

--
Robert E Martin
IT Manager