Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Best practices for outsourcing firewall management

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:15:23 -0400

What's the purpose of having an ISP maintain the firewall/router instead of the MSSP?  Or am I misunderstanding your
intent?

I see some disadvantages here.  First, if your MSSP is going to perform IDS monitoring, this creates a major delay in
their ability to respond to an incident by blocking attackers.  Second, many providers that host firewalls don't like
to share.  That is to say, it's good practice to interface directly and exclusively with the customer in order to
authenticate any changes and make sure that they are what the customer wants.  A large MSSP is going to have a breadth
of staff that can handle customer change requests, which is a good thing, but means that the provider that implements
changes on the gateway will need a lousy security policy, which is a bad thing.

Third, and this comes from my own personal bias, most telco/ISP shops have such lousy security I wouldn't trust them
further than I can throw them.  If it were me, not only would I not want them implementing changes on a customer
firewall, I wouldn't want them to manage the border router outside of the firewall, either.  I understand wanting to
implement checks and balances, but I feel that including an ISP as an integral part of a security services equation is
less of "defense in depth" and more of "the weakest link."

If you are trying to build in local hw/sw support for the firewall, consider making that part of the SLA when
evaluating the MSSP.  Even if the firewall is managed in a central location, many MSSPs may have regional integrator
practices nearby that can get hardware and a skilled engineer to the customer within hours of a failure.  This may have
the added bonus of being cheaper than your original idea since several of us (MSSPs) include this automatically in our
managed firewall services.

PaulM