Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: rpc.statd message log

From: "Robert E. Martin" <rmartin () fishburne org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:32:53 -0400

PMelson () analysts com wrote:

That all depends.  Is the box in question Linux or Solaris on x86?  Is the
version of statd on it known to be vulnerable?  All you've captured is an
attempt to exploit a known buffer overflow in rpc.statd.  This could be a
targeted attack, but it also could be one of a handful of worms that exploit
this vulnerability (Lion[1] and Adore[2] are two that I am aware of).

PaulM

1. http://www.sans.org/y2k/lion_protection.htm
2. http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/l-067.shtml