Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RPCs over HTTPS through the firewall

From: "Volker Tanger" <volker.tanger () discon de>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:48:54 +0200

Greetings!

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:17:32 -0500 "david singleton"
<david_rh_singleton () hotmail com> wrote:

Microsoft's Outlook 11 can envelope its RPC traffic in HTTPS and
thereby go through the firewall on port 443 to connect to the Exchange
server.
Is this thought to be anymore risky than conventional port 443
traffic?

If I understand the "wrapping" correctly, the advantages are mainly on
the client side: works from behind NAT(masq), no open ports for
RFC-Backconnects on the client (i.e. you probably can close them).

Or did you think of OWA, which (by definition) works via HTTP(S)?

Bye

Volker Tanger

IT-Security
discon gmbh
DeTeWe AG & Co. KG

Fon +49 30 6104-3307
Fax +49 30 6104-3435
http://www.detewe.de/

--

Besuchen Sie unsere neuen Internet-Seiten http://www.detewe.de .
Neues Highlight: Wunschproduktberater fuer den Home & Office-Bereich.

Visit our new Internet Pages on http://www.detewe.de .
Our Highlight: Online Product Adviser for Home & Office.
(Currently available in German only)