Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX Licensed Connections Limit

From: "Alan R. Young" <aryoung () veros com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:34:34 -0700

Hi

Now I am completely stumped!! CISCO has thrown me for a loop.

I just called CISCO customer support and they told me that they will not
sell me anything until I can get my box inspected and licensed and I
must buy a smartnet contract.

They told me it would be around $3000, that is going to cost me about
three times the price of the box. They really do go for the throat.

Then I asked for a product number so I could call back once I had the
money to pay for the CD, and upon inquiring further the CISCO guy on the
line told me that no, upon further checking they cannot sell me
anything, the software is now discontinued !!, NO SUPPORT AVAILABLE FOR
MY PIX 520!!! The phrase the guy used was "it is at END OF LIFE STATUS".

Am I totally screwed? Is there a third party source that sells the
upgrade license software?

I am completely stunned... Did I buy a useless paperweight?

Any suggestions guys?

Alan