Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: tunnel vs open a hole

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:48:09 -0700 (PDT)

you can purchase support for most, if not all open-source software if that
is the real problem.

unfortunantly it's not. opensource software does tend to have things fixed
faster when problems are discovered, but I think it was the recent
sendmail holes taht had been in the code for 8 years without being
discovered. more eyes doesn't eliminate all bugs. (this isn't to say
commercial software is any better, win95 had a bug in it that wasn't
discovered for 4 years that prevented it from running for more then 50
days)

another problem with open-source software is that since people tend to do
the work that's fun, minor things like documenting how to use the software
tends to lag significantly.

when a company looks at useing opensource software they need to include
the cost of these things in the balance.

I still believe that in most cases opensource is still better, but it's
not free.

David Lang