Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Centrallizing logs

From: m p <sumirati () yahoo de>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:43:34 +0200 (CEST)

 --- Rudy_D_Pereda () mail dbf state fl us schrieb: >
MP,
Couldn't be that lucky, we still run IIS(4). On the NT side, have you used
any software to redirect NT event logs to a syslog server?

And thanks for your 2 cents. much appreciated.

rdp

Unfortunely not. I'm getting the logs in a nightly ftp job to our main log
server [1], convert them to the format I need (via a perl script) and compress
both versions for archiving. They sit there until a job every month does the
reports.

As for the hint to the tool (I think www.sysinternals.com offers a free
version) to send the system log of NT via syslog to a logging host: IIS 4 does
not report to the system log of NT.

Because that is slighty off-topic for a firewall list, please send all other
questions in private mail only.

Thanks,

Marc

[1] The log server is sitting in a private DMZ and is requesting each night the
logs from 3 different server farms. I thought about cygwin on the machines to
get better tools to work with. But since I hardened the machines and killed
POSIX, OS/2 and 16-bit support - why should I reintroduce some services not
needed for the job as a webserver? FTP, HTTP and VNC (from the inside only) is
more than enough if you are on a M$ based plattform.