Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

separating the servers on a switch

From: "Shimon Silberschlag" <shimons () bll co il>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:23:23 +0200

Lets say we have an internet segment, protected by firewalls at both
ends. On that segment are various servers.
The servers need to talk to other servers outside the segment; uplink
its the internet, downlink the backend servers.
Some of the servers need to be able to talk among them.
We want to control which server can talk to which other server (in the
segment), utilizing one of the firewalls (lets say the uplink one).
Can the group suggest ways to accomplish that? We thought about using
L2 switches with "private VLAN", L3 switches with ACL, but constantly
come across problems doing the routing properly.

Shimon Silberschlag

+972-3-9352785
+972-51-207130